Saturday 3 June 2017

Not just material recycling, but also spirit inheriting

My No. 1 favourite architect, the first Chinese citizen winner of the Pritzker Prize, Wang Shu is known as a material master because he always re-uses materials that are salvaged from the demolished traditional local buildings. Tiles, in particular, are one of the important form in Shu’s material palette.
While Shu designed the Xiangshan Campus, China Academy of Art in Hangzhou, he and his team rescued more than 2 million old tiles from the local traditional houses demolished by the government, and used these to build the walls, roofs and grounds in the campus.

Last October, I visited the Xiangshan Campus and I cannot be more amazed and impressed by Shu’s work. It appears to be a nice example of integrating the recycling and sustainable concepts with traditional Chinese aesthetic, however there is a lot more than that.



Shu believes materials are not just materials, experiences, memories and spirit are embedded in these rescued tiles. While I stared at the walls, the roofs, I could help to wonder: who are the people who used to live under these tiles, and what kind of stories have happened in those demolished houses.
I was so touched because I did feel the history and the spirit carry by these materials.

No comments:

Post a Comment